"I reserve the right to exercise sarcasm and make up my own words. And exaggerate. And post a bazillion pictures of my kids. Thank you very much."

24 October 2010

Fairly useless bus business

WARNING: this is a post all about my experiences riding UTA throughout Provo on Friday. Common side-effects of reading this post are (1) feeling as if you just wasted 4 minutes of your life, (2) wondering "what was the point of that?" and (3) a desire to drink grape juice. 

Today started off like any other day.

Alarm: 6:40 a.m.
Shower: 6:42 a.m.
Breakfast: 7:05 a.m.
Bus stop: 7:32 a.m.

As you can see, that's all pretty normal. Uneventful. Whatever you want to call it. I'm not saying things got crazy or interesting from there, but ... well, I'm kind of saying that, I guess.

When I walked into the little boothy-bus stop-thingy, I found this:



In case you can't tell from my grainy, 1.3 megapixel cell phone camera and the pale morning light, that is an acorn with "WRITE ME" written on top. The rest of the acorn displayed this:









Elder Colton D Henrie
MTC Mailbox #185
DAR-ASU 1116
2005 N 900 E
Provo, UT 84604-1793
10/21/10

Granted, I probably shouldn't be posting this poor young elder's contact information for the world to see, but hey ... he wrote it on an acorn and left it at the bus stop, so why not?

Anyway, if you're wondering whether I took the acorn: I didn't. I left it there so that maybe a nice, single (not pregnant) young lady might find it some cold and dreary morning and subsequently realize that Elder Henrie is her true love ... or so that some really old guy with a good sense of humor would pick it up and start writing him creepy letters. That would be much less sappy and much more funny.

I wonder if Elder Henrie realized the first person who stumbled upon his message-on-an-acorn would be a married pregnant woman. Probably not.

I actually had a couple more interesting bus experiences today. In fact, the most interesting experiences since the lady with the bird in a brown bag that she kept passing to people who had the audacity to strike up a conversation with her.

I was actually late for class because two gentlemen delayed my 1:40 p.m. bus. The first gets on the bus and is clearly struggling with his cash. I see him say something to the driver, who takes his money and puts it on a paper towel. The money is soaking wet. Seriously -- completely drenched. What's interesting is this young man doesn't appear to have anything else that's wet. No wallet, no wet clothes, nothing except for a suspicious looking gallon of Juicy Juice (grape flavored), and four dripping dollar bills.

But I don't even think the grape juice was the culprit, seeing as the dollar bills were not dyed purple. The bus driver dabbed the dollars with the paper towels and shoved them in the money-thingy. Problem solved.

Next bus stop: some surfer-looking dude with a long board hops on the bus, pops in a quarter, then pulls out his wallet and asks the bus driver if she has change for a $5. No, duh. Of course she doesn't have change for a $5. If bus drivers kept money on board, it would be like the olden days when bandits could make a fortune robbing trains. Only today, they'd rob buses instead.

I personally would not want to be on a bus (or train) as it was being robbed by some bandit, which is why I'm pretty sure I was born in the days of impenetrable metal money-thingy's that eat your cash [unless it's soaking wet] and don't give it back. Duh, dude.

So, all in all, my bus rides today were actually interesting. Most of the time it's just me and the bus driver, cruising around north and downtown provo. Not today.

P.S. if there are any single ladies reading this blog, I strongly encourage you to write Elder Henrie. I'm not even kidding. And please send me any responses so I can do a follow-up story! So awesome!

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! That is a great bus story. I think you should write him, just to let him know you found his acorn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe I should have Lindsey write him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is so funny about the acorn!! haha. clever boy. also, i don't feel i wasted my life at all. in fact i almost want to start riding the bus as well to see the interesting things as well. where do you pick the bus up at?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! How funny! Who would think to write that on an acorn? So cool :o)

    PS--I don't feel like I just wasted 4 minutes of my life! :o) You're cute and funny and fun to read about :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa: Thanks!
    Amy: I thought about writing him an awkward letter ... we'll see if I'm determined enough.
    Mom: Yeah! Except for he might be a creeper and I don't wanna have to take responsibility for that.
    Megan: I usually hop on the bus right across the street from the temple. That takes me to BYU and then I take another bus from the Wilk to my internship in south Provo. The temple stop is super close though.
    Alaina: Thanks! You're due practically any day now, right?

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts