"I reserve the right to exercise sarcasm and make up my own words. And exaggerate. And post a bazillion pictures of my kids. Thank you very much."

19 April 2010

In case you're wondering . . .

I case you may be wondering why I have all of these posts about family meals and together-time, let me briefly explain.

I'm currently enrolled in (and finishing up) Communications 416: Media Advocacy and Social Change. Part of this course's assignments are to (1) Conduct a group case analysis on a topic of your choice and (2) Complete a social advocacy project of your choice.

My group chose to analyze the recent movement for structured family time. We focused on three particular organizations which we feel are leading the movement: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Focus on the Family, and Stouffer's. We painstakingly analyzed these organization's role in the family movement.

As I studied the movement and the things the aforementioned and other organizations were doing to forward the movement and affect change, I decided I wanted to try and make some sort of difference as well. This inspired me to create a blog as part of my social advocacy project - a blog through which I could communicate the researched benefits of family dinners and family time, as well as those I have noticed in my home and as my family evolves.

Originally, this social advocacy blog was separate from my personal one, but as I began to complete the required hours for the project, I decided I would rather include the posts here. I hope to continue making weekly posts regarding the family and its importance.

So, as I said, if you're wondering where the random posts about the family and family dinners came from - there's your reason. I just imported all the old posts today.

-Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts