Georgian Spicy Roast with Pomegranate Sauce
Spice Paste
- 3 Tbsp sweet Hungarian paprika (I could not find Hungarian paprika ANYWHERE. I read you have to purchase it at a specialty store or online. I used regular paprika).
- 2 tsp hot Hungarian paprika (same problem as before. I found a smoked paprika by McCormick Gourmet and used that. I was a little worried, but ended up really liking the flavor ... even though it's not really any more spicy).
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground fenugreek (another specialty or online ingredient. I omitted this, but I've read you can substitute ground mustard).
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 picnic pork shoulder, 6 lbs (I used a 3lb pork tenderloin and cut everything else in half).
- 6 large cloves garlic, slivered
- 1/2 C beef broth
- Pomegranate sauce (recipe follows)
- Fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
In a small bowl, combine all the spices for the paste. By teaspoonfuls, add just enough cold water to get a medium-thick paste.
Remove the skin (if you use a tenderloin, this is not necessary) from the roast and trim off all but a thin layer of fat (this will keep the roast moist during cooking). Make deep slits all over the pork.
Add the garlic slivers to the spice mixture and stir to coat. Insert the coated garlic slivers, as deep as possible, into the slits in the roast. With a spatula, spread the remaining mixture all over the meat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours (I only had time for 4 1/2 hours and it still turned out great).
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Place the roast on a rack in a roasting pan (if you're doing the 3 lb tenderloin, you can cook it in a 9 x 13 in. Pyrex). Add the stock to the roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes (I found that I still needed the entire 1/2 C broth even with a smaller roast). Reduce the oven temperature to 325° F and roast for another 3 1/2 hours, basting with the pan drippings. Test the roast by pricking it with a skewer. When it is cooked, the skewer should slide in easily and the juices should run clear (internal temperature should reach at least 160° F).
Remove the roast from the oven and let it stand for 15 minutes before carving. Carve the meat and arrange on a serving platter. Spoon the Pomegranate Sauce over the meat and sprinkle with cilantro.
Original recipe serves 6. My variations serve 4-5.
Pomegranate Sauce
Place the roast on a rack in a roasting pan (if you're doing the 3 lb tenderloin, you can cook it in a 9 x 13 in. Pyrex). Add the stock to the roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes (I found that I still needed the entire 1/2 C broth even with a smaller roast). Reduce the oven temperature to 325° F and roast for another 3 1/2 hours, basting with the pan drippings. Test the roast by pricking it with a skewer. When it is cooked, the skewer should slide in easily and the juices should run clear (internal temperature should reach at least 160° F).
Remove the roast from the oven and let it stand for 15 minutes before carving. Carve the meat and arrange on a serving platter. Spoon the Pomegranate Sauce over the meat and sprinkle with cilantro.
Original recipe serves 6. My variations serve 4-5.
Pomegranate Sauce
- 3 1/2 C pomegranate juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed in a garlic press (I would honestly omit the garlic. With the garlic inside the roast, it's just too much).
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Pomegranate seeds
In an enameled saucepan, reduce the pomegranate juice over high heat to 1 1/2 C, about 20 minutes.
Stir in the garlic, pepper flakes, cilantro and salt and allow to cool to warm or room temperature. Before serving the sauce, add a fistful of pomegranate seeds.
Makes about 1 1/2 C.
| Nutrition Facts | ||||||
Serving Size 677 g | ||||||
Amount Per Serving | ||||||
Calories 454 Calories from Fat 90 | ||||||
% Daily Value* | ||||||
Total Fat 10.0g 15% | ||||||
Saturated Fat 3.3g 17% | ||||||
Trans Fat 0.1g | ||||||
Cholesterol 199mg 66% | ||||||
Sodium 383mg 16% | ||||||
Total Carbohydrates 14.6g 5% | ||||||
Dietary Fiber 0.9g 3% | ||||||
Sugars 11.5g | ||||||
Protein 72.1g | ||||||
| ||||||
Nutrition Grade A- | ||||||
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet |
Nutritional Analysis
Good points
- Very high in niacin
- High in phosphorus
- High in riboflavin
- Very high in selenium
- Very high in thiamin
- Very high in vitamin B6
Bad points
- High in cholesterol
No comments:
Post a Comment