"I reserve the right to exercise sarcasm and make up my own words. And exaggerate. And post a bazillion pictures of my kids. Thank you very much."

04 July 2011

Tuscan Pasta and Bean Soup

This was super easy and SUPER yummy. I didn't know quite what to expect when I made this, so I'll tell you. It's like a tomato basil soup. We ate it with a nice loaf of bread from Panera (my FAVORITE), though I can't tell you what it was because it was given to us. I think grilled cheese sandwiches would be delightful with it as well. HERE is where the recipe came from. 

Tuscan Pasta and Bean Soup
  • 15 oz can kidney beans, undrained
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 C small onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
  • 28 oz chicken broth (I just filled the empty crushed tomato can up with water and used about 6 tsp bouillon)
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh basil
  • 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 cup dried macaroni
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomatoes, broth, beans, basil, parsley and pepper. Bring to boil.

Add pasta; reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, 12 to 15 minutes or until pasta is tender.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 552 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
304
Calories from Fat
73
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
8.1g
12%
Saturated Fat
1.3g
6%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
0mg
0%
Sodium
1228mg
51%
Total Carbohydrates
45.4g
15%
Dietary Fiber
13.0g
52%
Sugars
15.7g
Protein
16.3g
Vitamin A 44%Vitamin C 32%
Calcium 18%Iron 30%
Nutrition Grade A-
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points
Bad points






























The nutrition facts say this is high in sodium -- which is true -- most soups are. One easy way I cut out some of the sodium (which is not included in the nutrition information) is by using canned crushed tomatoes with no salt added.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts