"I reserve the right to exercise sarcasm and make up my own words. And exaggerate. And post a bazillion pictures of my kids. Thank you very much."

03 August 2011

Cajun Cabbage with Rice

I'll be honest, I was VERY surprised by how GREAT this was! It was so easy, so quick and so delicious. I had a leftover half-head of cabbage and this was the perfect way to use it. I got the recipe from HERE, but I made a few changes, which I'll share below.

Cajun Cabbage with Rice Recipe

Cajun Cabbage with Rice
  • 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 10 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 4 oz can tomato sauce
  • 1/4 C long grain rice, uncooked
  • 1 tsp fresh basil
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/2 head cabbage, chopped
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350° F.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown together the beans, green pepper, onion and garlic until the vegetables have softened, about 8 minutes.

Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, rice, salt, basil, oregano and the cayenne and black pepper (adding more pepper to taste, if desired). Spread mixture into an ungreased 9x9-inch baking pan. Stir in cabbage and top with cheese.

Cover and bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the rice is tender.


Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 256 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories 
191
Calories from Fat 
53
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 
5.9g
9%
Saturated Fat 
2.5g
13%
Trans Fat 
0.0g
Cholesterol 
10mg
3%
Sodium 
514mg
21%
Total Carbohydrates 
29.7g
10%
Dietary Fiber 
7.0g
28%
Sugars 
6.6g
Protein 
8.8g
Vitamin A 22%Vitamin C 90%
Calcium 15%Iron 16%
Nutrition Grade B+
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points
Bad points

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts