"I reserve the right to exercise sarcasm and make up my own words. And exaggerate. And post a bazillion pictures of my kids. Thank you very much."

29 June 2011

Curried Chicken & Rice Soup

I found this recipe HERE. It was super yummy, but there are some things that I plan on changing next time we make it ... I'll talk about those at the end.










Curried Chicken & Rice Soup

  •  2 small chicken breasts
  • 6 medium carrots, sliced diagonally into 2-inch pieces
  • bay leaf
  • 6 C chicken broth (I used bouillon and water ... I will use less bouillon than the label calls for next time. Probably take off 1/2 tsp)
  • 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1 large onion, very thinly sliced
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
  • 1/3 C jasmine rice (I will use 2/3 C next time)
  • 3 Tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
  • 3 Tbsp chopped fresh dill (if you're using dried, I recommend about 1/4 Tbsp)
  • lemon, cut into wedges
Combine the chicken, carrots, bay leaf and a pinch of salt in a medium saucepan. Add 3 cups broth and bring to a boil; immediately reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the chicken is just firm, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the butter in another saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and sugar; cook until the onion is soft, 5 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook for 1 minute. Add the rice and the remaining 3 cups broth. Increase the heat to medium, cover and simmer until the rice falls apart, 15 to 20 minutes.

Remove the chicken from its broth; discard the skin and shred the meat into pieces. Return the shredded chicken to the same broth.

Puree the rice mixture with an immersion blender until smooth (or use a regular blender, then return to the pan). Pour in the shredded chicken and broth, stirring gently to combine; bring to a simmer. Toss in the chopped herbs and serve the soup with lemon wedges.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 605 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
367
Calories from Fat
122
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
13.6g
21%
Saturated Fat
5.8g
29%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
78mg
26%
Sodium
1317mg
55%
Total Carbohydrates
30.5g
10%
Dietary Fiber
5.3g
21%
Sugars
8.4g
Protein
30.7g
Vitamin A 317%Vitamin C 30%
Calcium 13%Iron 26%
Nutrition Grade B+
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points
Bad points

So, the changes I made (and will make next time) were/are: use more carrots (which I included in the recipe above); use some celery and maybe potatoes and bell pepper; use less chicken bouillon; and use more rice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts