"I reserve the right to exercise sarcasm and make up my own words. And exaggerate. And post a bazillion pictures of my kids. Thank you very much."

08 June 2011

Homemade Granola

This is my own recipe for granola. I pulled what I liked from a lot of different recipes and created my own ... and I LOVE it. This is delicious. My favorite way to eat it is with vanilla yogurt, topped with frozen fruit. Right now, my fruit of choice is blueberries. We got a great deal on blueberries last week, so we bought two mini-pallets and froze them all. Yummy.


  • 4 C rolled oats (old fashioned)
  • 1/2 C almonds (I throw mine in a blender for a couple pulses to chop them up. You can also just use the pre-sliced/slivered)
  • 1/2 C pecans, chopped
  • 1 C dried cranberries (Last week, I used a dried berry medley. It was really good)
  • 1/2 C unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1/3 C vegetable oil
  • 1/4 C honey
  • 1/2 C brown sugar, packed
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Combine oats, almonds, berries, coconut, cinnamon and salt in a large mixing bowl. 

Bring oil, honey and sugar to a boil in a sauce pan. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract (remember to do this! The vanilla will splatter and burn you if you don't remove it from the heat first!). 

Pour mixture over dry mix. Stir until coated. 

Spread mixture over a baking sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

Granola should be golden brown when done. Let the granola cool, then break into chunks. Store in an air-tight container.


Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 61 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
251
Calories from Fat
118
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
13.1g
20%
Saturated Fat
2.7g
13%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
0mg
0%
Sodium
16mg
1%
Total Carbohydrates
30.7g
10%
Dietary Fiber
4.1g
16%
Sugars
11.8g
Protein
4.6g
Vitamin A 0%•Vitamin C 2%
Calcium 3%•Iron 8%
Nutrition Grade C
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points
Bad points
  • High in sugar
  • Contains alcohol

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts