"I reserve the right to exercise sarcasm and make up my own words. And exaggerate. And post a bazillion pictures of my kids. Thank you very much."

07 June 2011

Mexican Pizza

Quick Bean Recipes, Healthy Bean Recipes, Easy Chili Recipes

Daniel and I tried this recipe a couple weeks ago and it was SO good. And packed with goodness! I'll post the recipe as I made it ... which I got from HERE (a wonderful site for all things bean). Next time, I'm going to try and make a whole wheat pizza crust, though.

Pizza Dough

  • 2 1/4 tsp yeast
  • 1/4 tsp sugar
  • 3/4 C hot water
  • 1 3/4 C flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Dissolve yeast and sugar in water. Let sit for eight minutes. 

Pour yeast over flour mixture and mix well, knead for 2 minutes. Roll or press thin in pizza pan or stone. 

(You can add Italian herbs and cheeses if desired ... just not too much).

Pizza
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2/3 C onion, chopped (I just did one small onion)
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 C salsa
  • 5 oz frozen spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed
  • 2 Tbsp cilantro
  • 1 C grated cheese
Preheat oven at 375° F.

Mash beans, combine with onion, cumin, chili powder and garlic; stir. 

Spread over crust.

Spoon salsa, top with spinach and cilantro. Sprinkle with cheese.

Bake 15 minutes, or until crust is done and cheese is melted. 

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 326 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
713
Calories from Fat
108
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
11.9g
18%
Saturated Fat
6.5g
33%
Cholesterol
30mg
10%
Sodium
707mg
29%
Total Carbohydrates
115.5g
38%
Dietary Fiber
20.0g
80%
Sugars
4.8g
Protein
38.5g
Vitamin A 79%Vitamin C 21%
Calcium 40%Iron 56%
Nutrition Grade A
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points

I was slightly skeptical about the spinach -- you shouldn't be. It was delicious. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts