I was actually a little surprised at how healthy this was ... and oh, was it good! I thought this dish was great for entertaining because it looks so pretty and summery.
The recipe came from the Jorgensen Family Cookbook I mentioned HERE. The cookbook says it belongs to my Aunt Pam, but I'm pretty sure she got it from my Aunt Suzie =)
| This was prior to baking, but I was cutting it close on time. The only difference is that the cheese would be melted =) |
Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 6 green bell peppers (I used 4 green, one yellow and one orange since that's what we had)
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey (The nutrition facts below are for beef)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2/3 C brown rice (The recipe calls for white rice, I used brown ... just make sure you cook it extra long if you use the brown)
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 C Colby-jack cheese, grated (I think cheddar would also be great ... the recipe calls for Parmesan, but I thought the Colby would taste better)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cut the tops off peppers and remove seeds. Parboil for 3 minutes in boiling water (For those of you who would need to look up what "parboil" means [yeah, that was me], it means to partially cook in boiling water. Basically, just submerge the peppers in boiling water for 3 minutes and then pull them out and let them cool). Cool.
In a large skillet, brown meant and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Add rice and tomato sauce. As rice cooks and absorbs liquid, add water as needed and cook 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
Spoon meat mixture into pepper halves and place in baking dish. Pour diced tomatoes over top and top the whole thing with sprinkled cheese.
Bake at 350 F for 20-25 minutes.
| Nutrition Facts | ||||||
Serving Size 376 g | ||||||
Amount Per Serving | ||||||
Calories 324 Calories from Fat 80 | ||||||
% Daily Value* | ||||||
Total Fat 8.9g 14% | ||||||
Saturated Fat 4.0g 20% | ||||||
Trans Fat 0.0g | ||||||
Cholesterol 76mg 25% | ||||||
Sodium 491mg 20% | ||||||
Total Carbohydrates 31.0g 10% | ||||||
Dietary Fiber 5.3g 21% | ||||||
Sugars 10.3g | ||||||
Protein 29.4g | ||||||
| ||||||
Nutrition Grade A | ||||||
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet |
Nutritional Analysis
Good points
- High in manganese
- High in selenium
- Very high in vitamin A
- High in vitamin B6
- High in vitamin B12
- Very high in vitamin C
- High in zinc
No comments:
Post a Comment