"I reserve the right to exercise sarcasm and make up my own words. And exaggerate. And post a bazillion pictures of my kids. Thank you very much."

09 June 2011

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce & Meatballs

This was my first attempt at making spaghetti sauce from scratch ... and, if I do say so myself, it was amazing. I pulled the meatball and sauce recipe from HERE, but I tweaked it a little bit. Mostly, I just substituted fresh herbs and tomatoes for dried/canned. I'll give you my recipe below.

Italian Spaghetti Sauce with Meatballs Recipe

Homemade Spaghetti and Meatballs

Meatballs

  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
  • 3 Tbsp fresh parsley
  • 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 egg, beaten
Sauce
  • 3/4 C chopped onion
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 C olive oil
  • 5 tomatoes, diced
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp granulated sugar
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 6 oz tomato paste (1 can)
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh basil, shredded
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
In a large bowl, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, parsley, Parmesan, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, garlic powder and beaten egg. Mix well and form into approximately 20 balls. Store, covered, in refrigerator until needed.


In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is translucent. Stir in tomatoes, salt, sugar and bay leaf. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 90 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, basil, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and meatballs and simmer 30 minutes more. Serve over 1 lb cooked whole wheat spaghetti noodles.


We were having company the night I made this ... and I didn't quite have time to let it simmer the full 90 minutes. I let it simmer about 30, then I added the meatballs and let it simmer another 30. It still turned out great! 



Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 341 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
642
Calories from Fat
162
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
18.0g
28%
Saturated Fat
3.8g
19%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
99mg
33%
Sodium
1210mg
50%
Total Carbohydrates
81.8g
27%
Dietary Fiber
10.2g
41%
Sugars
11.6g
Protein
38.7g
Vitamin A 30%•Vitamin C 40%
Calcium 11%•Iron 42%
Nutrition Grade B
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts