"I reserve the right to exercise sarcasm and make up my own words. And exaggerate. And post a bazillion pictures of my kids. Thank you very much."

07 June 2011

Pasta Pomodora

I got this recipe from the Jorgensen Family Cookbook. The Jorgensen's are family friends (my cousin's cousins, to be exact) and they were so sweet to give me a copy of their cookbook my sophomore year at BYU. I was new to cooking and it definitely came in handy! Pasta Pomodora is probably our most frequently cooked meal. It's light, delicious and super easy to make. Enjoy!


  • 1 lb package angel hair pasta
  • 1/4 C olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 C Roma tomatoes, diced
  • 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 1/3 C chicken broth
  • Crushed red pepper, to taste
  • Black pepper, to taste
  • Salt, to taste
  • 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
  • 1/4 C Parmesan cheese, grated
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook per package directions until al dente; drain. 

Pour olive oil in a large, deep skillet over high heat. Saute onions and garlic until lightly browned. Reduce heat to medium-high and add tomatoes, vinegar and chicken broth; simmer for about 8 minutes. 

Stir in red pepper, black pepper, salt, basil and cooked pasta, tossing thoroughly with sauce. Simmer for about 5 more minutes and serve topped with grated Parmesan cheese.


Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 313 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
511
Calories from Fat
167
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
18.6g
29%
Saturated Fat
3.5g
17%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
88mg
29%
Sodium
424mg
18%
Total Carbohydrates
68.0g
23%
Dietary Fiber
1.2g
5%
Sugars
2.9g
Protein
17.9g
Vitamin A 16%Vitamin C 20%
Calcium 11%Iron 25%
Nutrition Grade B+
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points

We've done a couple variations of this recipe as well. We've added grilled chicken or extra tomatoes. Tonight, I'm going to saute some chopped mushroom with the onions and garlic. 


This is with regular pasta, obviously with whole wheat, it would be a bit healthier. 

So good. If I remember to, I'll take a picture of it tonight and add it to the blog =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts