"I reserve the right to exercise sarcasm and make up my own words. And exaggerate. And post a bazillion pictures of my kids. Thank you very much."

07 June 2011

Slow Cooker Minestrone

This recipe is dedicated to Nicole Bywater. Nicole: I'm very sorry I spaced sending you this. I miss you. Come to Texas, please.

This recipe came from HERE, but I add a lot more veggies substitute beans for the pasta. I'm giving you my version. If you want the website's, click the pic or the link above.

Slow Cooker Vegetable Minestrone


  • 4 C chicken broth
  • 4 C tomato juice (I use tomato sauce or paste; whichever I have on hand. Tomato sauce is 1 part sauce to 2 parts water, paste is 1:4)
  • 1 Tbsp dried basil leaves (If you want to go fresh, dried herbs are usually 3x more potent; this would be 3 Tbsp fresh basil)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 3-4 carrots, sliced
  • 3-4 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 C mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 15 oz diced tomatoes (1 can, I sometimes use a couple fresh tomatoes ... again, depends what I have on hand)
  • 15 oz kidney beans (1 can)
  • (optional - 1 lb browned sausage)
  • 1/4 C Parmesan cheese
Combine all ingredients in slow cooker except cheese. 

Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours.

Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese. Makes about six servings. 

Nutrition facts do NOT include sausage.  

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 540 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
349
Calories from Fat
29
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
3.2g
5%
Saturated Fat
1.1g
6%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
4mg
1%
Sodium
1437mg
60%
Total Carbohydrates
59.6g
20%
Dietary Fiber
13.8g
55%
Sugars
12.2g
Protein
23.6g
Vitamin A 130%Vitamin C 77%
Calcium 16%Iron 35%
Nutrition Grade A
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points
Bad points

I really like this recipe for a few reasons: 
  1. It's in the crock pot. Practically any crock pot recipe is a great recipe because labor is minimal, quality is high ... you get the picture.
  2. It's super healthy -- just check the nutrition facts above.
  3. Bake a fresh loaf of wheat bread and you have yourself a cozy, delicious meal that's great for company or just your family. 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts